10 August 2009

Smell Ya Later

I was thinking about scents. I smelled something the other day and for a flash I was 10, stepping out of the Green Room and into the hallway leading to the auditorium to perform in the end-of-piano-camp recital. It was a combination of coconut oil, sweat, air conditioning, polished wood, fresh carpet, and Lauren (by Ralph Lauren) perfume. Quite a combination, no?

And so many, many years later - with not a drop of either coconut oil or Lauren in site - it came back.

Fascinating.

I have been thinking about scent memory ever since. And while thinking, I was trying to remember all of the fragrances I've worn over the years. Can I even remember all of them, would be a better question.

So, I'm going to try. Right here and now. Here goes: (and feel free to comment openly about what you remember about each of these, too)

Love's Baby Soft - my first and I will always remember it

Bill Blass - thought this was v high brow as a teenager; back when I started reading Seventeen and Town&Country

Alyssa Ashley Musk - the smell of my summer holidays in Arizona

Lauren - my 'I'm-not-going-to-wear-Liz-Claiborne-too-no-matter-how-cute-the-bottle-is' scent

Samsara - first perfume chosen
for me; happily abandoned when a wonderful friend declared her love of it (we literally swapped scents and I got...)

Shalimar- my scent of choice - still; like a comfortable sweater on a cool night and a mug of Earl Grey, perhaps because of my memories of that great friend

Obsession - my second scent of choice; my bold, 'you-can-smell-me-coming' scent

Kiehl's No 1 - this became my 'I-want-to-love-this-but' scent

L'eau d'ambre - close cousin (to my nose) of Shalimar; just lovely

The par un ete - LOVE this; so wildly different from anything I'd ever worn or do wear

Paul&Joe Bleu - light and powdery (imagine that); perfect for summertime or a scent pick-me-up in winter

Hypnose - another cousin to my beloved Shalimar; reminds me of how royalty smells - perhaps due to color as have no idea how 'royalty' smells

Also, I always wanted to wear "White Shoulders". It's too flower-y for me. And the girls who wore it were as well. Same with "Amazing Grace".

Ten-O-Six and Noxema were hard to keep off the list, but I had to - strictly speaking. You understand.

Now, I seem to be a soap-and-water girl. And I get swept-up in the scents of moisturizers instead of perfumes. Some of them I want to eat! But isn't it interesting to sit and ponder about such things as scents. They really do make a lasting impression.

And when I grow old, I will try to wear Chanel #5 with grace and aplomb. My grandmother did, and it always seemed to be the perfect 'grandmother-ly' smell. That and pie crust and lemon wood polish.


No conundrums today, kids. Let's just breathe deeply and reminisce.

Thanks for perusing this blog; blog you again soon!

2 comments:

Liberty London Girl said...

Hey lovely! Thank you for the wonderful comment you left on my blog: comments like that make my day.

And I loved this post: I wrote something similar on LLG about six months ago. hold on, I'll get you the link...

http://libertylondongirl.blogspot.com/2009/03/signature-scents.html

LLGxx

MK said...

Oh! What a wonderful surprise to find your comment, LLG!

Thank you so much for clicking-through to my humble 'sometime' blog. Very encouraging! Thanks, too, for the link-back to your 'scent' post: Fracas will forever remind me of my mother and our intense-yet-fleeting mutual obsession with that divine scent, that black bottle. It makes me misty. It also makes me want to pop into Sephora tomorrow.

tIO xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...